Another Reatta?

DAVES89

I had been watching [on a different forum] the struggle a nearby Reatta owner was having selling his Reatta. After he threatened to part it out [keep in mind this was a "Silver Award Winner" at a prior Buick Club of America Reunion I just had to act. The last thing I needed was another Reatta as I already have 4 [2 each 1989 Coupes, a 1990 Convertible, and a 1989 parts car] but I made an offer. The guy thought it over for a couple of days and e mailed me back and said "come and get it". So yesterday after renting a car dolly I went to get it leaving at about 6:00 am for a 2 hour drive.

Well this car was way better then I expected and he had numerous extra parts and a fitted "California Car Cover" in a duffle bag to also throw in. It does have a couple of issues that I can easily address such as an "A" arm cover on the passenger side [already replaced] and needs a new Harmonic Balancer [not done]. I drove it about 20 miles to it's first temporary home [today to about October 15] and then back home as a back up winter driver. 

There was numerous repair receipts and I saw that both drive shafts, front brake calipers, A/C Condensor, ECM, Ignition Module, Crank Sensor, Cam Sensor Magnet, Front and Rear struts, and a couple other things I can't remember. There are also numerous parts such as a CRT, Headlight Switches, Spark Plug Wire Sets, new 1988 Hood Ornament, and once again a lot of other parts.

The paint is very good and the interior is almost perfect overall the inside/outside together are an 8 on a scale of 10.

And other then the Harmonic Balancer the car runs great with good acceleration. The ride is great because of the relatively new struts, and the 16 way seats are very comfortable with very little wear. The tires are very good with lots of tread left, but are not a matched set of 4. Wheels are not perfect but are very nice.

He wanted $2000.00 for it, but as no one else stepped up to buy it I got it for less. Probably one of the best buys I ever got on a car. 

One draw back is that the freon is low. I have about 15 cans of R12 which this car still uses so next spring I'll try adding, hopefully the leak is very slow.

Ronnie suggested I take a picture of the 4 Reattas I have. That will happen in October.

• Like 1

Thanks for telling the history of the car Dave. I don't have room for another Reatta but it would have been tempting if it had been near me. To get an award winning Reatta and all those parts for less than $2000 is amazing. I'm glad it found a good home.

One other thing I saw is that the battery, while only one year old is a very low amperage battery [675] amps. I can use it in a summer driver [maybe the vert] but it really is too low for our cars. I believe we should be running 1000 amps, however I get 800 amp batteries. I watch for higher amp batteries at Gibson's [a local You Pick] and get them for $20.00 each with an exchange...

Yeah, that battery is too small for the cold weather you have. A small battery would probably work here but I still bought a big one from NAPA. Don't remember the amperage but it starts the engine almost as quick as I can turn the key.

I went through the boxes of stuff he gave me to go along with it and he was pretty generous. There was an extra rebuilt CRT and 2 Riv headlight switches [both work excellent but only one has good back light illumination] also a wiper switch that is in pieces. Then a number of "silver" boxes, CRT controller, radio, chime module, ECM, BCM, etc. And a fitted California Car Cover and misc. screws, connectors, clips, etc. Almost forgot a Ignition Control Module, Barney crank, PCV valve, fuel filter, and 2 each spark plug wire sets. 

This really was a good deal, happy I got it! 2Seater you will have to come over in October to take a look at it. If you haven't seen it when Vincent owned it, you really should. If nothing else maybe to test the accumulator ball that was there with no indication of being good or not.

You got a fantastic deal.  All those parts alone are worth at least half what you gave for the car.  The only dark side of all this is it tells us how hard it is to sell a Reatta. That car should have sold for a lot more and maybe it would have if he had been willing to hold on to it for the right buyer to come along.

• Like 1