AUX audio input

Silver

I’m almost certain that this has previously been discussed, but I don’t seem to be able to locate any reference. 

On my ‘91, I am attempting to install a wired auxiliary audio input to the radio. Connections to the aux audio pins have been accomplished, and signal go through if there is a tape in the cassette player (using blank tape to avoid simultaneous sources).  

Is there a way to activate the radio audio input without having to trigger the radio by inserting the cassette?  Or the CD player?  Perhaps just push a button somewhere?

I feel as though I’m just overlooking a really simple step. 

In advance, thanks for any suggestions. 

wcr

do a search over at AACA. put in "Tapedeck solution" see if that has what you are looking for. I know it says 88 / 89 but you might be able to glean some information if you read through the string.

Forum member DAVES89 is pretty knowledgeable about this. Below is what he wrote in an ealier post. If you hve questions perhaps he will be able to answer them.

"f you don't want to use your cassette deck going forward just remove it from the car, unplug the white plug lead, remove the back of the cassette deck, remove the plug and short harness from the cassette deck. You will see that you have four wires coming from the harness just removed from the cassette deck. Two are grounds and can be wired together the other two are right and left speakers.

Then take a MP3 extension cord and cut the female end off and wire the three wires from the MP3 lead to the cassette harness you just removed from the deck. I would do tape until you know which wire does which. Once you get it to work you can then solder and heat shrink. Plug back you new lead into the car's cassette harness and you should be set. I run my lead through the console and out through the consoles ash tray.

I do have an extra one if you want to buy it. I'll sell it for $20.00 delivered. "

Sorry Ronnie that is for the 1988/89. I had McReatta make one for me for my 90 'vert, but I have no idea what he did.

Ronnie, I apologize, I don't mean to carry on any conversations on this forum. But now that this is started I have a question for Daves89. I saw where it was said that you have to enable the tape player for the ability to control volume for the MP3 or IPOD device with the touch screen. If I take out the tape deck and make a nice little open compartment to put the IPOD in will it control with the touch screen or with the IPOD controls?

Thank each of you for your responses. I feel better having learned that I’m not alone in trying to come up with a workable solution this.

I’d really appreciate if McReatta were to drop in and provide information on what the capabilities and design of his solution are.

Perhaps, one way to attack might be to go into the cassett player and remove the belt from the drive, and use the hardwire to the aux audio input. Would this give controllability via the existing radio controls, and elimate the rattle of the spinning cassette drive?

Again, thanks to all,

wcr

No problem Steve. I'm encouraging everyone here to post on the AACA forum but I'm not discouraging anyone from posting here right now who wants to do so.

I want to give everyone plenty of time to transition to the AACA Reatta forum. I have disabled new member registration. I hope me doing this is for the best...

Ronnie, I apologize, I don't mean to carry on any conversations on this forum. But now that this is started I have a question for Daves89. I saw where it was said that you have to enable the tape player for the ability to control volume for the MP3 or IPOD device with the touch screen. If I take out the tape deck and make a nice little open compartment to put the IPOD in will it control with the touch screen or with the IPOD controls?

On the Red and Black I actually have two set ups that actually do the same thing. On the Red McReatta built me a harness that plugs into the bottom of the radio module completely bypassing the cassette deck. On the Black I went to Gibson's and cannibalized a cassette deck by removing the female plug from it and then splicing it into a MP3 lead. This way I maintain all factory wiring which I think is important on these cars. On both the Red and Black I kept the power to the cassette decks in place, I just disconnected the sound harness and then used the respective custom built harness.

As I still have power to the cassette deck I do not know what the BCM would recognize and if it would allow the CRT to run the cassette portion of the sound system.

McReatta is no longer on the forum and was having health issues. I don't even know if he is alive. I do miss him as other really smart posters.

I’m somewhat hesitant to continue this query as I appear to have unknowingly stepped into, and reignited an ongoing food fight/range war/turf battle. Sorry for my indiscretion.

Dave, you state, if I understand you, that on your ‘90 (same radio as on the ‘91, I assume) you pulled the bottom plug and bypassed the cassette. If this is correct, how do you initiate accessing the new audio source? Or when you plug in the source, does the radio simply recognize that something is there and switch to that source and mute the radio receiver?

Also, do you control the volume using the volume control on the radio, or that on the source?

I’m just trying to figure this thing out. It would have been a whole lot simpler if a “Play Tape” button had been included on the radio.

Thanks,

wcr

I’m somewhat hesitant to continue this query as I appear to have unknowingly stepped into, and reignited an ongoing food fight/range war/turf battle. Sorry for my indiscretion.

I'm afraid you misunderstood. We are still all one big happy family here and there is no turf war at all. In an effort to bring us all together I'm asking everyone to start posting on the AACA forum so we will all be posting in one place. I'm hoping that over time that will be the best for the Reatta community. I  hope no one is offended by that.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have.  We are here to help if we can.

I’m somewhat hesitant to continue this query as I appear to have unknowingly stepped into, and reignited an ongoing food fight/range war/turf battle.  Sorry for my indiscretion.

Like Ron says. You didn't get us into anything. I was just apologizing to Ron because I know of his intention to slow down traffic at this site and have us have one site for our forums. There has been a lot of referencing back and forth between the two sites. It's going to be much easier to find out what we / you need at one site with many very informed individuals who like to help.

I’m somewhat hesitant to continue this query as I appear to have unknowingly stepped into, and reignited an ongoing food fight/range war/turf battle.  Sorry for my indiscretion.

Dave, you state, if I understand you, that on your ‘90 (same radio as on the ‘91, I assume) you pulled the bottom plug and bypassed the cassette.  If this is correct, how do you initiate accessing the new audio source?  Or when you plug in the source, does the radio simply recognize that something is there and switch to that source and mute the radio receiver?

Also, do you control the volume using the volume control on the radio, or that on the source?

I’m just trying to figure this thing out.  It would have been a whole lot simpler if a “Play Tape” button had been included on the radio.

Thanks,

When McReatta designed the harness it was a pug and play unit. What we have to do is install a cassette tape [the tape is cut so cannot play]this "tells" the BCM that the cassette is to play. The lead that I ran to the console has the lead that I plug into my MP3 or my wife's smart phone. The radio doesn't care what is playing it just knows that the cassette mode has been commanded.

I would suggest you remove your radio and send it in for the upgrade you are after. A couple of places are M and R Electronics or United Radio. Either could do what you want.

I apologize for my misinterpretation of the comment. Just didn’t know what was going on, and haven’t regularly monitored the site. Caught me a little off balance.

To be honest, I wasn’t even aware that there was an AACA forum until the middle of this week.

Probably a good idea to move everyone on to one site as there is not a overly large population from which to draw.

Thanks for the info,

wcr

Dave,

Thanks for the information. I’d been wondering if the raisin had an “automatic source sensing” capability, or if some sort of manual triggering was required. This will probably save me a lot of head scratching. 

wcr