Winter is coming. Are you ready?

Ronnie

This time of year I get anxious about making sure I have everything ready for winter. Today I was reading an article in the Hagerty Insurance magazine for storing a car for the winter that caught my attention. I thought I would pass on some of the tips they give in the article.

The article assumes you are storing your car in a garage for the winter. I guess because they require a car they insure to be kept inside a garage. It is a pretty long article but I will try to give you the short version. :D

They say for starters you should thoroughly wash your car and then wax it to keep any contaminants from damaging the paint. They also recommend covering the car with a good cover. I usually do those things anyway but I think they are giving some good advice even though I drive my car some in the winter.

The article recommends a coolant flush and oil change in preparation for storing the car for the winter.  I don't do that because I usually drive my car on nice days in the winter to keep the engine, transmission, AC, ect. lubricated. I do check the antifreeze before bad weather to make sure it is up to snuff.

Some of the things they recommend if you are going to leave the car parked all winter are:

1. Fill the tank up with ethanol free gas and add fuel stabilizer.
  2. Disconnect the battery and remove it if the car will be stored in a cold place. Batteries can freeze if they lose their charge. I think a battery tender/trickle charger is a good idea if you leave the battery in the car.
  3. Don't set the parking brake. Brake parts can fuse together after being in contact for a long period of time.
  4. To prevent flat spots on the tires put jack stands under all four corners of the car so the weight of the car will be on the suspension. That keeps the suspension parts in their natural position to prevent damage.
  5. If you think rodents or other critters will be a problem cover exhaust pipes and air intakes. Place mothballs or cotton dipped in peppermint oil around the car to discourage them from getting in the car.

Lastly they recommend your keep you insurance coverage in effect in case of something unexpected happening.

When I had my toys out in a pole barn back in Michigan I used electronic pest repellers that I got from Home Depot.  Even though I lived next to farm and woodland areas I had no mice in 15 years.

Ask a tire store about the flat-spotting problem.  My cars were stored from Dec to April.  Any flat spotting with today's tires ceased to be a problem after driving a block or so.

Snow tracks.jpg

First I change the oil/filter. As I have car dollies that I bought from Harbor Freight, I then just back the Red as close as I can along the backi wall, jack up the car, slide the dollies under the tires and roll the car lengthwise along the back wall. I pop the hood, connect a battery tender on the batteru, put a small block of wood so the hood doesn't close all the way, put on a car cover and I'm all set for the winter.

...then just back the Red as close as I can along the backi wall, jack up the car, slide the dollies under the tires and roll the car lengthwise along the back wall...

Do you keep all three of your Reattas in the garage in winter?

I have the 'vert over at a widow lady's house. I can store it free there if I snow blow her driveway. She lives about 10 miles away and has a real nice Ariens 8 HP two stage snowblower.

Her garage is a large 2 1/2 car garage so my car is covered and well away from her car so no dings.

Been doing her driveway ever since her husband passed about 16 years now. She was my neighbor until we moved about 10 years ago. She was two doors down from us and back then it was real convienant. Not so much now.

However it is year round storage as I keep the Black there in the summer and the 'vert there in the winter.

I've got about the same deal with my cousin storing my boat. If his lawn mower or something breaks down I fix it and in return I get to use a corner of his warehouse to store my boat.

I think I might have told you this before... I have never seen a snow blower - or a snowmobile either. You guys up north have all the fun. :)

Yeah that is right. Another thing you haven't done is drive your car onto a frozen over lake. I did that with the Black about 5 years ago.

However once you get used to the winter weather you can even get used to pulling parts in the snow...

Well today was the day. Washed the Red and put it in the garage. If everything goes well for the Black the Red "sleeps" all winter. Also had to replace a front wheel bearing and an oil change before I washed it. I had replaced the wheel bearing just a month ago, but it started making noise so replaced it again.

I've been waxing my Blazer this evening. Washed it this morning. Tomorrow I'm going over the interior. Going to install new door speakers and defroster vent if the arrive from Amazon. Nice weather for it. 70 degrees here today. I've already done the engine. Oil change, radiator flush, new tires, checked brakes, etc. Getting it ready for winter. It sits outside now that my daughter's car is in the garage. She lives with us now while she saves up to buy a house. I'll drive her to work if the weather gets bad.

That's what I did here in Wisconsin when my daughters got cars. In the summertime their car sat out, but when the weather turned my car sat out and my wife's and daughter's cars were inside. I didn't want the women in my life leaving for work/school with snow on the car. It was a safety issue for me.

On the Reatta front, my timing was perfect. We got our first snow last night. It will melt today, but I am still glad I put the Red away.

Even when my daughter lived in her own apartment I had to take her to work if it came a dusting of snow on the roads so I have to keep the Blazer ready to go if any snow is in the forecast. You don't get much practice for snow driving around here... thankfully. :)

Back in the day of RWD cars it was a BLAST driving in the snow (in a large empty parking lot of course). Seems like I spent hours doing this and I became pretty good at maneuvering. I have never had an accident (knock on wood) in the snow I think it was because of all that FUN I had practicing.

I did the same, I would go to the nearest KMART after 10PM and I had the parking lot to myself with all that snow that had fallen during the day.  I agree that not only was it fun but learning how to keep control of the car in the many conditions that a skid could get you into.

In fact I had to take my state driving test with the state driving inspector on my 16th birthday during a snow storm. :)

Woody

89MAUI

My last rear wheel drive car was a 1992 Buick Roadmaster and I used to take my two daughters and do the "parking lot" thing too. They loved it and it was cheap safe entertainment.

BTW we are due slushy rain/snow Tuesday night so tomorrow the snow tires go on the Black.

My last rear wheel drive car was a 1992 Buick Roadmaster and I used to take my two daughters and do the "parking lot" thing too. They loved it and it was cheap safe entertainment.

BTW we are due slushy rain/snow Tuesday night so tomorrow the snow tires go on the Black.

Do you just put them on the front or all the way around?

Thanks guys for the FUN posts it's good to hear about your parking lot adventures. ;)

BTW my birthday is in December and I also took my test in the snow, passed with flying colors. It is a little sad that most of the kids today do not get this type of defensive driving...It would help greatly I think.

My daughter had a car accident about a month ago with their Impala. We just got it fixed and tonight a deer ran into the driver's door. So the search for parts starts again...

My daughter had a car accident about a month ago with their Impala. We just got it fixed and tonight a deer ran into the driver's  door. So the search for parts starts again...

At least the Impala parts should be easier to find than Reatta parts. :)