REPLACEMENT OF TRANSMISSION COOLING LINES

89 MAUI

When I bought my '89 6 years ago I paid to have an inspection done prior to my purchasing.  The inspection found headlight motors, struts and rusted/leaking transmission cooling lines.  Well, I replaced the headlight motors and struts then I felt it was time to replace the leaky trans cooling lines.  I searched the parts houses and found a set that would work on the Buick Reatta which I bought for $50 but it turned out that it was for a '98 Olds w/3.8 but the lines were of difference dia. 

I continued to search after 4 weeks and found a radiator company in my back yard that would make a set for $350.  As long as I was having them made I decided to purchase a new radiator through the Reatta store of ROJ.

Which brings me to something I found out that might be the cause of our Reatta's running HOT.  There is a radio station program which he takes calls about peoples problems with their cars and pick-ups and it that originates in Baltimore but he is spreading to other states.  He mentioned that in the mid to late 90's there was a antifreeze on the market that was being used called DEXATROL and it would eventually clog radiators and coat the water pump, it had an orange color.  It was taken off the market around 2,000.  If you are having a cooling problem he suggest that you replace your water pump, radiator and thermostat.

We are slowly running out of replacement parts, even though some are compatible with the Riviera, we have a terrific 3.8 V6 but replacement parts are slowly diminishing.  I called STEELE moulding company 5 years ago and asked about mouldings for the Reatta and their reponse was there was not a large enough market for the 21k Reatta's built to make the replacement mouldings and to make a profit.

Which takes me to Ronnie's comment about keeping ROJ active on the internet, as much as we love this 2 seater how much longer can we get replacement parts let alone information such as Ronnie's tutorals to keep our cars on the road.  Ronnie has had a great website in conjunction with the AACA but without support from us how can we expect Ronnie to keep his website active?

Woody

89 MAUI

Not heard of Dexatrol, but there'd Dexcool that GM used (and still does), starting back in the early '90s. It too was orange Maybe the same stuff, (but the spelling could be off) and it got a bad rap also. Why, I don't know, but it was bullshit (the bad rap), the stuff is fine.

Harry -

I was speaking of Dave Serio on Saturday morning on AM station 680 & 1370. You are probably right on the spelling but Dave said it was off the market.

Woody

89 MAUI