'91 code confusion

91PoloGreen

A little help needed . I have been trying to decifer these diagnostic codes. Some match up to info on the site here, by dropping the zero, but some don't seem to be mentioned anywhere on site. 

So here are the codes I got:

ECM = 0210, 0134, 0164, 2144, 0364

BCM = 4404, 4484, 5524

IPC, or "R" codes (Which I couldn't find the description for) 

= 0244, 0264, 0344

Any and all help will be appreciated. 

Welcome to the forum!

You have an unusual amount of codes. The problem you are having with understanding the codes is I think you are writing them down wrong. The first three digits are the code number and the last digit is either a "c" (current) or an "h" (history).

Example: ECM code 0210 is actually 021c. If you look that up in the ECM code chart you will see that it is the code for the Throttle Position Sensor that is current. The codes that are current are the ones you should be concerned with first. Most of the codes you list are history codes.

Since you have so many codes you should reset the codes in diagnostics or disconnect the battery cable for a couple of minutes to reset the codes and then reconnect. After you do that drive the car and see what codes return. Report back here with the codes that return and we will try to help.

Hey 91PoloGreen:  I'm a 91 Polo Green too. Best Reatta color!  How is your paint holding up?  I definitely need a repaint soon.  Good luck with your issues.

Hey 91PoloGreen:  I'm a 91 Polo Green too. Best Reatta color!  How is your paint holding up?  I definitely need a repaint soon.  Good luck with your issues.

Very cool! Well I have some clear coat issues in a few places but overall the paint looks like new. I think the car was kept indoors most of its life. 

Thanks, J

91PoloGreen,

You are welcome. I was glad that I was able to help you with understanding the trouble codes. If you have other questions feel free to ask. I'm sure someone else here on the forum will help willing help.

• 1 month later...

Very cool! Well I have some clear coat issues in a few places but overall the paint looks like new. I think the car was kept indoors most of its life. 

Thanks, J

Hello,

I also have a 1991, a coupe,  but its blue with baby blue leather.  Maybe we should keep in touch about codes and specific problems to the 91.  Michael Johnson, Boulder Colorado

I have a lit Brakes! light but no sign of ABS lights, what does that indicate?

Also FYI I recently repaired a intermittent but often recurring problem with complete pandemonium on the IPC. ELECTRICAL PROBLEM! flashing as the motor died, only to restart in a few minutes.

I finally inspected all of the ground points behind the battery, and found one that was obviously not making good contact. That wire led towards the computer in the passenger footwell. After I polished those connections and put on some electrolyte grease, all of my problems went away... Now I am enjoying driving my "new" car again.

Maybe low brake fluid. Check the level with the key off and pump the brake pedal until it is "hard" then check the level.

The '91 Reatta doesn't have an accumulator, its a more standard pressure booster setup, and I had the fluid changed and refilled recently. The red BRAKE! light is always on, but the car is braking fine.

Check the emergency brake to make sure it completely released. It can turn on the red brake warning light. Also the fluid level sensor in the reservoir can turn it on.

Ronnie, you nailed it , the  emergency brake was on a  little.  What is the procedure for removing the radio and cd player?  Thanks in advance.  The car is now running well.

Ronnie, you nailed it , the  emergency brake was on a  little.  What is the procedure for removing the radio and cd player?  Thanks in advance.  The car is now running well.

Thanks for letting us know. The easy fixes are always the best ones. :)

My '88 doesn't have the same radio/cd as your '91 so I can't help you with that. I'm sure another member will be along to give you advice soon.