Service Engine Light

B29 Engineer

Service Engine Soon Light Flashes On And Off, Everything Seams Normal

Service Engine Soon Light Flashes On And Off, Everything Seams Normal

O2 sensor fixed that on my '90

Are you also getting a momentary warning on the dash when the SES light flashes? Have you checked for codes stored in the on-board diagnostic system?

No Codes   Only History Codes,   No Warnings

One thing that might cause the SES to flash and not set a code is the Oil pressure sensor. I had it to happen on my car. Replacing the sensor fixed the problem. It usually also causes an instantaneous warning to flash on the instrument panel when it occurs. (at least on the earlier models - not sure about the later models).

The oil pressure sensor routinely starts to fail by falsely indicating a spike in pressure to maximum for just a second or two. The computer detects that spike and displays the SES light and a warning for a split second, then it goes away. No code will be set. If the pressure spikes and stays there for a longer duration a code will be set. Watch your oil pressure gauge closely to see if a spike in pressure coincides with the SES light flashing.

....Do the same history codes keep coming back after they have been cleared?? If so you have a problem.

Was one of the history codes a B132?

Code B132 indicates the oil pressure sender is most likely bad as I indicated earlier.

Code E041 is indicates a bad cam sensor or more likely the magnet in the cam sprocket that triggers the cam sensor is bad. There is a way to fix the magnet without pulling off the timing chain cover. It is here. The cam sensor code will not keep the engine from running or leave you stranded. The engine is more efficient when the cam sensor is working properly which helps gas mileage.

Thanks to Padgett for providing the tutorial on how to replace the cam magnet.

REplaced OilPressure Sensor, Oil Gage REads About Top Center, Check Codes No CAm Code Only History Code. DElete Codes. Drove Car No SES light, Stopped Engine. REstarted Engine , Drive about Five minutes Ses Light Started Flashing, A Few Times Then Came On . Parked Car Checked Codes no cam sensor code only history. next day same thing happens.

I could clear the codes. Then drive the car for a few miles and check the codes again. I see you have B132 current and a E041 that is current. You may have a failing camshaft sensor magnet or possibly a bad camshaft position senor.sensor.

I would try clearing the codes by disconnecting the battery cable for a few minutes. Then drive the car and see what code come back.

You have a cam sensor issue. Before I did my engine swap I had a e041 that would be current and then go to history. It would do it over and over. I took off the sensor and saw that I had a damaged magnet, but still had the 4 corners. I installed a new sensor and the issue resloved itself. I was okay with doing this as I knew I was swapping the engine this spring [which I did].

You can try a new sensor [easy replacement] to buy a bit of time but I believe a magnet is in your future. I have not done the "Padgett Magnet Swap" but enough others have done it so you may want to consider it. Or if you have a good relationship with a mechanic, print off the "How To" and see if he will do it for you.

What Is The Correct Part Number For The Cam Shaft Senser, 1990 reatta, And Correct Number For The

Ignition Coil Assembly

What Is The Correct Part Number For The Cam Shaft Senser,  1990 reatta, And Correct Number For The

Ignition Coil Assembly

The ignition coil bolts on top of the Ignition Control Module.

ACDelco 213-145 Camshaft Position Sensor

Delphi GN10139 1988-90 Ignition Coil

Delphi DS10066 1988-90 Ignition Control Module

• 1 month later...

Replaced Cam Sensor. Replaced Ignition Module and Ignition Coil.  No Service Engine Light and No Stalling.  Thanks For All Of Your Help.

Oil Pressure Normally Runs Between 50/85 , Is This Normal? Oil Pressure Unit Has Been Replaced.