FUEL TANK INSTALLATION

belair gregg

I read HOW-TO-GUIDE on the re-installation of the fuel tank.  Can someone elaborate on the dropping of the suspension - which bolts are removed to drop the suspension to get access to the filler tube and vent tube.  Photos would be helpful.

Someone please help.

???? - I don't remember dropping the suspension when I changed my fill tube on my 88. Are you sure you need to drop the suspension on your 90?

It makes it easier if you drop the rear anti-roll bar and some of the exhaust shielding, but the suspension itself stays in place to remove the fuel tank. I did just read the tutorial mentioned and I don't remember needing to do anything special when I dropped the tank to service the fuel pump on my '90 but I was dropping the entire tank???

I agree with 2seater. I removed the rear wheels. It gave me more room to move around. Remove the anti roll bar and some of the exhaust shielding. The Filler tube is attached to a rubber tube and clamp. I also placed supports under tank while removing straps

The instructions fir removing the tube hose are here:  Fuel Tank To Filler Tube Hose Replacement

Below is what the instructions here on ROJ say about the suspension when replacing the filler tube.  Should the instructions just say drop the sway bar instead of the whole rear suspension? I've never done this so I don't know what is best.

1. Remove the rear wheels.

2. Place the floor jack directly under the rear suspension. There is an "X" under the center of the rear suspension and raise the floor jack to meet with the "X". This will support the rear suspension. There are two bolts that hold the rear suspension to the frame, remove the 2 bolts. Slowly lower the rear suspension until the strut towers almost meet the rear of the wheel well. This will allow for sufficient room to gain access to the rubber hoses and the filler tubes.

I agree with 2seater. I removed the rear wheels. It gave me more room to move around. Remove the anti roll bar and some of the exhaust shielding. The Filler tube is attached to a rubber tube and clamp. I also placed supports under tank while removing straps

Thanks to everyone ... but how do I reattach the rubber filler tube and the rubber vent (?) tube?  I have the wheels off, the sway bar off, the tank is out and the new pump is in, but I can't get to the hoses to reattach to the tank.  The exhaust shielding runs the length of the car and many of the fasteners are under the exhaust pipe.  The rubber filler tube and other smaller rubber tube are on the drivers side, not the exhaust side.  The exhaust is not in the way.

I must admit this is a dim memory as I did the fuel pump almost two decades ago. I thought the hoses were disconnected from the filler end and were already attached to the tank when lifted back into place.

The instructions fir removing the tube hose are here:  Fuel Tank To Filler Tube Hose Replacement

Below is what the instructions here on ROJ say about the suspension when replacing the filler tube.  Should the instructions just say drop the sway bar instead of the whole rear suspension? I've never done this so I don't know what is best.

i've read this previously ... but which bolts are the magic bolts that get removed.  Photos would be nice.  Does anyone know the gentleman that posted these instructions.  Please reach out to me ...  Or anyone in the Baltimore area that is familiar with this preoceedure.  I live in Bel Air south.

Gregg

Gregg, I got your message. The best way to contact Woody is to send him a private message. Click here to view his profile and then scroll down to "Send private message". He will receive an email from the forum notifying him that you have sent him a private message. I'm sure he will respond and help you any way he can.

i've read this previously ... but which bolts are the magic bolts that get removed.  Photos would be nice.  Does anyone know the gentleman that posted these instructions.  Please reach out to me ...  Or anyone in the Baltimore area that is familiar with this preoceedure.  I live in Bel Air south.

Gregg

....Gregg, I wish I had known this sooner. I ran into the same problem of having a fuel pump failure. However I didn't remove the tank to change the pump. Instead (being I'm Handicapped) I removed the rear compartment and using a dye grinder cut a door in the floor pan to gain access to the pump. I found it necessary to cut all the fuel lines and reinstalled them with full unions. I then made a door that I screwed back into place to help keep the integrity of the floor pan. Now if the pump goes bad again I have quick access. GM should have done this from the beginning like Ford does.