Reatta exhaust smells like its running rich,what do I check?

ski.dive

Previous owner removed the catalytic converter.

Previous owner removed the catalytic converter.

It depends on where the 02 sensor is located. If it's downstream then removing the converter could have an affect on it running rich. The 02 monitors the oxygen if lean the 02 tells the ECM to enrich the injectors, to rich, lean the injectors. Generally the downstream 02 is located on the converter. Removing the converter the ECM no longer gets that signal and will automatically enrich the fuel. Another possibility is dirty injectors, pour a product called seafoam into your tank and see if that helps. Hoped this helps

The O2 sensor is between the engine and where the cataltic converter would be. You were complaining about poor gas mileage before so I would start with a new O2 Sensor, spark plugs and spark plug wires. After that we can talk about cleaning the Idle Air Control [iAC] or the Mass Air Flow [MAF] sensor if you still have issues.

One other point that should be mentioned is the purpose of the Catalytic Converter is to burn any excess fuel that didn't get burned inside the engine. Especially when the engine is first started the engine fuel/air mixture is overly rich for the engine to run it's best when cold. Normally the converter would burn any unburned fuel in the exhaust. You may be smelling small amounts of fuel/air mixture that got out of the exhaust without being burned.

I have heard that a bad coolant temp sensor could make an run rich (or lean) also

Without the cat. it isn't too unusual for it to smell. Been there, done that. A new O2 may help, especially if you mileage is really bad also. If the cat was removed, it makes me wonder what else may be out of whack?

You have received lots of replies to your original post. It would be appreciated if you could at least acknowledge the help you have received.

We like to know if our replies are helpful. I know that may not be the norm on facebook and other social media sites but that is standard practice on technical forums like this one. We are a close knit group of Reatta owners that are truly concerned about helping you get problems with your Reatta fixed.

Thanks!

Yes, thanks for all the suggestions for it running rich.

I'm checking everything suggested to figure it out, I will post as soon as I get it diagnosed.

• 3 months later...

Checked everything out..Still smells rich out the tailpipe

It has to be missing CAT, because this Reatta is CAT delete.

I can't smell it with the windows up