1990 Convertible top question.

Skid Rowe

The handle behind the drivers seat that releases the top hold down has become so hard to pull that the handle broke. I have to use a pair of vice grips, and pull with everything I've got, just to release the top. The cable from the handle to the "Y" junction works fine, but from the "Y" junction, it's a beast. I suspect it's the springs connected to the cables. Is there an adjustment that can be made on the tension, or can the springs be replaced with something. It's springtime, and it's a shame to have a '90 convertible, and be able to put the top down.

I have a convertible and I also have been nervous about the tension on my handle. I haven't looked at mine and as it is still in storage don't have any advice.

Welcome to the forum Skid Rowe. I don't have a convertible so I can't answer your question. I really don't think the spring would be the problem because springs tend to get weaker with age instead of stronger.

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is old, but mine is kind of the same way.  It does make a difference if you undo the front first or not. The owner's manual says to undo the levers at the top of the windshield first. If I try to undo the lever behind the seat first it is very difficult, but is significantly easier if you do the sequence from the owner's manual.  That's how it is for me anyway.