ABS pressure switch

droid5977

When the ABS pressure switch fails, what exactly fails on the switch? Is it electrical or mechanical? Recently, mine has been acting up. When I start it up the two brake lights on the IPC light up. I can tap on the on the switch and the lights will go out. If I press on the brake peddle slowly the brakes work fine. If I press it quicker, I get the hard peddle and the lights come on again. ?????

Do the brake lights go out on their own after the pump runs for a while? Or only after you tap on the pressure switch?

Do the accumulator test and post your results here. I think you probably have a bad accumulator.

Accumulator Testing Instructions

When You turn on the key does the pump start running?

Is the pump running for a very long time or constantly?

Does the pump run when you tap on the brakes like you said above?

Like Ronnie said ;)

When I turn on the key the pump runs for about 3 to 4 sec. and stops. When I press the peddle slowly the pump starts and stops repeatedly. When I press the peddle a little quicker I get a click and both brake lights on the IPC come on. No pump motor.

Do the brake lights go out on their own after the pump runs for a while? Or only after you tap on the pressure switch?

Do the accumulator test and post your results here. I think you probably have a bad accumulator.

Accumulator Testing Instructions

The lights stay on until I tap on the switch.

Could possibly both the accumulator and the pressure switch be bad?

Too soon to say what is going on...Do the tests of the accumulator (Above) and let us know what the results are. If you have any other questions let us know we are happy to help!

Oh one other question- Were any of the brake lights on before you noticed the problem like the ABS yellow light.

When I turn on the key the pump runs for about 3 to 4 sec. and stops. When I press the peddle slowly the pump starts and stops repeatedly. When I press the peddle a little quicker I get a click and both brake lights on the IPC come on. No pump motor.

The lights stay on until I tap on the switch.

Could possibly both the accumulator and the pressure switch be bad?

Both could be bad. The pump starting and stopping each time you press the brake pedal leads me to think you have a bad accumulator for sure. I would try a good accumulator first and then go from there. If the problem persists after that you may need to get another pressure switch.  Tapping the switch to get the lights to turn off makes me think it is bad. The pressure switch might be causing the pump to stop or the pump motor might be overheating due to it having to run so much because of a bad accumulator.

Have you unplugged the pressure switch to see if there is brake fluid inside the connector? That is a sure sign of a bad pressure switch.

Too soon to say what is going on...Do the tests of the accumulator (Above) and let us know what the results are. If you have any other questions let us know we are happy to help!

Oh one other question- Were any of the brake lights on before you noticed the problem like the ABS yellow light.

Yes, the yellow ABS light had been coming on. I'll do the tests on Thursday. Gotta work tomorrow.

Both could be bad. The pump starting and stopping each time you press the brake pedal leads me to think you have a bad accumulator for sure. I would try a good accumulator first and then go from there. If the problem persists after that you may need to get another pressure switch.  Tapping the switch to get the lights to turn off makes me think it is bad. The pressure switch might be causing the pump to stop or the pump motor might be overheating due to it having to run so much because of a bad accumulator.

Have you unplugged the pressure switch to see if there is brake fluid inside the connector? That is a sure sign of a bad pressure switch.

No fluid inside the connector.

Ok, did the tests. The fluid level is not changing at all, so sounds like a bad accumulator.

Does the outside temperature affect the pressure switch? This past week it's been in the 20's and 30's here in the great PNW. I really didn't have this hard peddle problem till it got cold. Well, now it's in the mid to upper 40's and I'm having a hard time getting the hard peddle to happen again. The yellow ABS light comes on briefly and goes out. If I hit the break peddle really hard, both the yellow and red brake lights come on and then go out. ????

Ok, did the tests. The fluid level is not changing at all, so sounds like a bad accumulator.

The yellow ABS light comes on briefly and goes out. If I hit the break peddle really hard, both the yellow and red brake lights come on and then go out. ????

I think both of those things point to a bad accumulator.

Does the outside temperature affect the pressure switch? This past week it's been in the 20's and 30's here in the great PNW. I really didn't have this hard peddle problem till it got cold. Well, now it's in the mid to upper 40's and I'm having a hard time getting the hard peddle to happen again.

I think the cold weather could cause the pressure switch to stick if the brake fluid has moisture in it and it begins to freeze. Brake fluid absorbs moisture. Have you ever flushed and refilled the brake fluid? That is one of the most important things you can do to prevent problems with the Teves brake system on the Reatta. Flushing the brake fluid cannot be done in the normal way. These instructions should be followed to get the fluid out of the system - especially the rear brake lines. How To Flush & Bleed Brakes

I think both of those things point to a bad accumulator.

I think the cold weather could cause the pressure switch to stick if the brake fluid has moisture in it and it begins to freeze. Brake fluid absorbs moisture. Have you ever flushed and refilled the brake fluid? That is one of the most important things you can do to prevent problems with the Teves brake system on the Reatta. Flushing the brake fluid cannot be done in the normal way. These instructions should be followed to get the fluid out of the system - especially the rear brake lines. How To Flush & Bleed Brakes

Thanks for all the help Ronnie. I'll flush the system. Try to hunt down an accumulator and get this car back on the road.

Does the outside temperature affect the pressure switch? This past week it's been in the 20's and 30's here in the great PNW. I really didn't have this hard peddle problem till it got cold. Well, now it's in the mid to upper 40's and I'm having a hard time getting the hard peddle to happen again.

Yes actually mine has been having a harder time pumping in the cold weather - like 20's and 30's too. Usually I will put in the key and turn it but not start it for just a few seconds before starting it I don't know why and I can hear the pump running slowly. One time I thought I would wait to see how long it took to pressurize the system and it took longer than normal. Since then though I will immediately start the car so the pump is running off the alternator instead of the battery and it will pump as normal, but it still seems like it takes longer to pressurize the system than when it is warmer weather.

I know that brake fluid viscosity is not affected by NORMAL temperatures (-50 deg Celsius it will start to jelly up) so maybe like Ronnie said there may be just enough moisture in the system to cause these results. I flushed my brakes when I first got mine but I plan on doing it again in the coming Spring.

Thanks for all the help Ronnie. I'll flush the system. Try to hunt down an accumulator and get this car back on the road.

If you haven't done so, you should read this thread about finding an accumulator. I think it is the best option right now for getting a new one.   Hydac Accumulator 

If you haven't done so, you should read this thread about finding an accumulator. I think it is the best option right now for getting a new one.   Hydac Accumulator 

Just ordered one last night. Thanks,

Just received my Hydac Accumulator in the mail today. I'll flush the brake system and install the accumulator on Thursday.

I got the new accumulator installed today. Flushed the system too. Got brakes again. I guess it was just the accumulator and not the pressure switch, because everything is working as it should. Thanks again Ronnie. This site is invaluable.