Reatta PROM

Aztec62

Hello!

I am new to this forum.

My name is Henning, I am living in Bremen, Germany.

I have a 1990 Reatta Coupe with a problem.

Today I have removed the ECM and discoverd an incorrect PROM.

It is from a 89 Buick Le Sabre (ANMX, ID 5945)

A corrrect PROM would be an ATYH, ID 8064)

My questions:

Whats the difference between the two PROM`s?

Will the car run any better with the correct PROM?

Anybody have a ATYH, ID 8064 PROM for sale?

Have fun

Henning

Contact Kevin [kdierkes] His email is;

sansuiman@yahoo.com.

He has burned many of the proms we need for our Reattas. He should have what you need.

A good story for us is how did a Reatta get to Germany?

The story is simple:

The Reatta was on Ebay Germany, I liked the car, had it shipped-now it is here!

I am pretty certain it is the only one in Germany, but not in Europe.

There is one advertised for sale in the Netherlands.

I have a 91 Riviera, too.

My Reatta needs some work. The IPC is shot and so is the paint and the headliner.

Will get in touch with Kevin, thanks for the info.

Henning

Welcome to the forum Henning! Kevin should be able to help you out. He will know the details about the differences in the PROMs.

Wow welcome Henning, my mother is from Leipzig. I hope you enjoy your Reatta, when you get a chance maybe you could upload some photos.

Hi Frogware,

Leipzig is a nice city. Lots of intersting places to visit.

I have been in Leipzig many times because Porsche has a big plant there.

They use a lot of marking units from the company I am employed with.

Here are some photos.

09_P2060185.thumb.jpg.7624ed9b2e5e7655a9a0ba26e20951e5.jpg

01_P2060194.thumb.jpg.149e47e39a1fab4d546ca7f7de66ee3d.jpg

07_P2060183.thumb.jpg.4a425d25e47f5e46937ce1ef4697887a.jpg

Thank You for the info I hope that someday I can visit there.

Wow it looks great! It has the same trim as mine with the all white.

Just be careful when you look for another IPC make sure everything works and it has a guarantee or money back because there are a lot out there that don't work. just read the posts from Posti I think he went through 4 of them before he found a good working one. And the other things I am sure we can help or at least point you in the right direction to get your Reatta to your satisfaction.

-Scott

Hiya, Henning!

Welcome to the ROJ. I am also a new member, having just bought my 1989 Reatta in November. As noted above, it took 5 IPCs before I got one that worked properly. I am looking into how to repair some of the ones I have that work partially. Your Riviera and Reatta have the same IPC. The 1990-81 Reatta/Riviera IPC seems to be more common on eBay, at least in the States.

The ROJ has been a huge help to me. make sure to read all of the posts in the technical help sections - most of the common repairs are listed there in detail.

Welcome to the forum Henning! Kevin should be able to help you out. He will know the details about the differences in the PROMs.

Almost a week has passend but no email from Kevin. That is too bad. :-(

Henning

I have little knowledge, much less than Kevin, but I have tried to find the ANMX file to no avail. I thought I might be able to download the file from one of the EFI websites and run a comparison using my TunerPro software, but no joy. I believe I have the ATYH on my old laptop for chip burning, but I lack the ability to burn to the full size EEprom. If I have it, I can burn to the 256k chip that is imbedded in the larger big blue PROM, but that isn't a lot of help. I believe you can also use the ANWU prom which was the early '90 model prom and is what came in mine stock.

I looked in my files and I do have both ANWU, early '90 and ATYH, late '90 so at least I could do a comparison. The only differences I can find is the cranking fuel pulse width is modified by a small amount with a warm engine between 20*-44*C Either PROM should work.

I looked in my files and I do have both ANWU, early '90 and ATYH, late '90 so at least I could do a comparison.  The only differences I can find is the cranking fuel pulse width is modified by a small amount with a warm engine between 20*-44*C Either PROM should work.

Do you think the one he has in his car from a 89 Buick Le Sabre (ANMX, ID 5945) would be much different from the ATYH that it should have? If it is cranking and running good do you think he could tell the difference? Just wondering.

I emailed Kevin. Hopefully we will hear from him. I will also check my inventory, because one time when Kevin came to to go junkin with me he looked for proms at Gibson's and what we couldn't find he burned from my inventory.

I believe he has them all, which is what I have come to expect from him.

Henning,

My apologies for not answering your email. It was caught by the spam email filter for my inbox and I did not see it until Dave brought it to my attention this evening. I had to re-register here as my previous account apparently lapsed (Ronnie, do accounts close after an extended period of inactivity?) so that I could post this. I have a good ECM PROM from a 1990 coupe I parted this past summer.

This is the one in the long plastic carrier with a pale blue top and brown bottom shell, as I assume that is the one referred to on your original posting. I would note this one is marked ANWU/8985. There were two versions in 1990, one was a federal emissions PROM, the second was specifically for the state of California as they had more stringent emission requirements that required a retuned PROM. I will need to find the chart that lists the variants and their associated letter/number codes to confirm, but am fairly certain this one is a federal version.

I am unfamiliar with emission testing requirements in Germany as they relate to imported cars of this age, so perhaps it will make no difference in your case which one is being used. Let me also check further as I recently parted a second 1990 coupe that had a good ECM and PROM but it is still buried in a box awaiting a chance for me to put it properly into my parts inventory. I suspect it will also be a federal version, as the one I already mentioned. If you believe this one will meet your needs (in terms of meeting any emission standards requirements  imposed there) I'd be happy to arrange to get it shipped to you. A reply or private message here is fine, or you may email me again and I will be on the lookout for it.

Edit to add: if this one will not work properly for your needs, I will see if have previously imaged the contents of the California version for 1990 as Dave had mentioned. If so, I can custom program one for you with that version.

Kevin Dierkes

Do you think the one he has in his car from a 89 Buick Le Sabre (ANMX, ID 5945) would be much different from the ATYH that it should have? If it is cranking and running good do you think he could tell the difference? Just wondering.

I don't know what the differences might be without being able to compare. I would think they would be very similar since the engines are identical, but who knows for sure? Whatever the problem Henning is haven't was not articulated. I am very glad Kevin has arrived and I am sure everything will be fine.

Ok, a couple of things to add. First, the 89 and 90 3800 enignes are very nearly identical in every respect. The 88 is slightly different from the 89/90 and of course 91 had major revisions versus the previous three years. The electronics (ECM) are different enough between 88 and the 89/90 iteration of the 3800 engine that the PROMS cannot be interchanged between an 88 and 89/90. Of course, 1991 is a completely different ECM and PROM so it needs no further discussion here.

All that said, the 89 and 90 are close enough that I suspect the 90 would run on with an 89 PROM and vice-versa. I can't say what specifically changed between 89 and 90, or what changes may exist in the PROM code between the Reatta and LeSabre, but there must be some changes no matter how minor, or there would not be different PROM ID codes. Now, in looking a bit, it seems the correct PROM for a 90 Reatta (federeal version) is AYTK (rather than AYTH) based on information I dug up this morning.

Now I'm second guessing what this PROM coded ANWU/8985 that I took out of a parted 90 is actually for. Give me some time to do further research and getting the codes by year and application before we do anything further. I want to be certain I'm supplying the correct part. More to come...

Kevin

I don't know what happened to the text I had done before I added the photo

but this is the original ECM from my '90 coupe, an early model. I have a second ECM which came from Jim Finn (in the car now), but I have the PROM which carries this id: Delco ATYH 8311 and in the other window is 4G9319. This PROM is listed on the Gearhead EFI site as 1990 3800 E-body w/2.97 axle and is what I use as the base for my modified chips. None of this may matter as it looks like a California calibration is requested.

0121171242-00.jpg

Hello kdirk,

this is Henning.

What is the difference between the Federal and the California PROM in terms of performance and drivability?

Whould the use of a "California" PROM result in a big loss in performance?

The emission regulations in Germany (and in fact in the rest of the EC) are pretty tough, but you wont get banned from the road when you drive a big polluter, as long as it is not a factory new car. All what happens is you pay more road tax.

When the performance loss (if any) is not too big, I would go for the California PROM. It might help to pass the emission test more easily and save some money, too.

All the best,

Henning

I don't actually know how much of a difference there is in terms of driveability and performance, I've not seen any published specification to that effect. I have to assume the emissions are less with the California version, and thereby some loss of performance - albeit minor I'd expect - is certain. I will do some checking here to determine what I have, what I can custom program, and what is actually correct for a 1990 as there seems to be some confusion on the correct PROM codes. It also appears there may be more than two valid codes for 1990. This was the case in 1988 as well where there were early and late production (corrected some problems with the early version) PROMS available. I will not have a chance until tomorrow to sort this all out, so will post further sometime tomorrow evening.

Kevin

Kevin,

It's good to have you back on the ROJ forum. Your help is appreciated.  A few months ago I had to install new forum software and most of the user accounts got deleted in the process. That required registering again for a new account. Sorry for the inconvenience. The old ROJ forum posts can still be found here:  Forum Archives