Big project this spring

DAVES89

I am dropping a bill off for $180.86 which is my exact cost for parts and Kendall's labor [what he would take]. And if he pays me that's up to him. Then I never want to see him again.

2seater went with me and the guy showed no remorse or sorrow for what happened.

It's clear he screwed up. He should be happy to get off with just paying that amount.

Seems like it is getting harder and harder to find good dependable work these days. A couple months ago my boy took his car in to have the transmission replaced - he supplied the tranny so all they had to do was swap it out. They completely forgot to tighten the main bolts from the tranny to the engine. Luckily he was looking under the hood a couple days later and noticed a couple of the bolts just barely hanging on by a few threads.

I agree with Dave. It seemed there was little concern that he screwed the pooch on this one. After repeated calls to see if he had any bolts we could use, kept saying he hadn't had time yet, Dave and I went over to his place. Mistakes happen, I have surely made my share, but the lack of concern or contrition for the mistake was a surprise. What was found was just shy of a major catastrophe.

Dave's friend Kendall is a marvel. I know my way around an engine fairly well but he makes it look easy. I'm sure it's not easy, but I arrived about an hour after the scheduled start and the car was on stands, pan off, and almost the entire front of the engine removed. Impressed.

Kendall is probably the best mechanic I have ever seen. What 2seater doesn't know is that Kendall would have been farther along except that his 3 year old grand daughter was "helping" us and he was trying to accomodate her. I wish I could just turn everything over to him but that is just not possible, so I guess I do what one would say "I pick my spots". The crap jobs go to the shop and Kendall gets the tricky stuff. He did get frustrated and complained politely that "all this rework because someone didn't tighten 3 bolts correctly" and that was it.

My other good friend [bob] while slower can fix and do anything. I am lucky to have such friends and that they help me with stuff that I am reluctant to do. Bob has told me that I am pretty good at doing stuff it's just that I lack confidence, which isn't exactly true, I'm just not as fast or as good as Bob and certainly Kendall so it is easy to get them involved.

Something I am working on...

Below are photos of the damage from the loose cam bolts that Dave sent me. There's just no excuse for leaving those bolts loose.

967363773_camboltdamage.jpg.71c097c4121547771f974a9280a0ba2b.jpg

10112923_camsensordamage.thumb.jpg.b716730734388bb470555ed27ac35157.jpg

346767407_camsprockets.thumb.jpg.e553c02bc7e6f9abb4f597b4a721fd3e.jpg

566239089_oilpanshavings.thumb.jpg.61faae51adc0645728d67a17fab05202.jpg

194386955_timingcover.thumb.jpg.c112f200a5f714c2361986d04a3cd47b.jpg

I stopped by the engine builder with my bill for the labor and parts. He was much more interested today and took time to talk to me. He did changed his attitude from "I know I tightened those bolts" to "I was sure I tightened those bolts". So he was better about it. I told him how close we were to having a ruined engine and what the side cover looked like and what Kendall did to "clean up" the engine prior to putting everything back together.

I really think that the cam sensor was what kept the cam sprocket bolts from coming all the way out and ruining the engine.

I also said that Kendall did check the bolts on the crank and they were good. I also said that I have about 2500 miles on the engine and everything else seems fine.

He agreed that changing the oil again at 5oo miles was a good idea. He also was glad to hear what Kendall did to clean the oil pickup [from both ends] and cleaning the side cover and rinsing down the side of the engine to get rid of as much shavings as possible.

Kendall, the engine builder, and I agree that with the miles I have been driving that if anything got into the bearings we would know it by now.

I have put on about 125 miles since Monday and so far so good. The engine starts, runs, has good acceleration, and doesn't smoke so I should be good.

I just looked and there are over 10,400 views. Thanks for your interest!

Yesterday I was out running appointments and had to stop for a traffic light, whan all of a sudden I heard a noise like a bad cam, lifter, valve noise. Thinking the worse I turned off the A/C and the radio and went to the gauges page of the CRT. The gauges all were normal and no warnings popped up on the screen.

As the sun roof was open I could hear pretty well and being stuck in traffic I couldn't move until the light changed. When it changed we all started to move and that is when I realized the noise wasn't coming from me but from another car that had been in our group of cars waiting for the light to change.

So now I am at 250 miles since the repair and while being a little skittish about the engine as I have to build trust in it, everything still seems fine. The engine still starts good, runs quiet and has good power. I'll be changing oil in it this next week before I go to the Buick Reunion next week which is a little over 100 miles from home. I also have some detailing to do.

Kdirk and I will be there, anyone else coming?

As I stated in the previous post I was at 250 miles and needed to do an oil change at aproximately 500 miles. So I took a look at the LKQ pick your part website and as luck would have it there was a 1988 Reatta that just came in at their Chicago yard. So this morning at 4:00am I left home for Chicago. I arrived due to very light traffic at 6:45 and went next door to Menards [big box retailer like Home Depotr/Lowes] and walked around.

I was first in line when they opened and headed straight for the Reatta. It wasn't as nice as I hoped, but came  away with the two front ABS sensor leads, pump/motor from the Teves, Instrument Cluster, Headlight, Hood Ornament. The CRT was there but when I tried it, it worked but wouldn't change pages as the hard buttons didn't work. Too bad as it had a rebyuild sticker on it. Dash was great, but the seats and interior door panels weren't. I also passed on the headlight morors, tail light, cornering lamps, and fog lights. They weren't better then I had and I didn't want to pay for and then inventory what I never get asked for.

BTW the instrument cluster lights up great and the headlight switch has full back light illumination. I will have to test the accumulator and pressure switch. I am now up to four pump/motors which work, but I have not yet tested the accumulators and switches as I am waiting on 2seater.

Yesterday after getting back from Chicago I detailed my wife's Enclave's rims and tires and then washed it. This morning I got up at 6:00am and polished it.

Then brought out the 'vert washed that, then out with the Red for the 500 mile oil change under hood detailing and wash. As the Red is the car for the Buick National Reunion I will be waxing it and doing an interior detailing.

Kdirk is driving up and will be staying at my house while we attend the Nationals. Might have time for a "Gibson's run or maybe that yard in West Bend that I scored all those parts off that '90.

Or we could also do the Kissel Car Company mueseum that would be on the way from my house to Brookfield.

The Red is running real good. The oil was pretty clean [as it should be with 600 miles on it] so I think I dodged that bullet and once again have a good running car.

Is the weather looking good for the national meet? It's pouring rain here today. I hope you guys have a great time!

Thursday is projected for 80 with elevated humidity. Other then Thursday it will; be 75-80 degrees and lower humidity. No rain.

Today I leave for the Nationals. As I was detailing the Red yeterday I noticed that there was a bit of sundamage on the passenger door arm rest at the back end towards the door opening. I will wipe it down with paint theinner and touch it up. I have a light bulb that also just burned out so will do that as well.

While one always has something to do on these cars I think now I am "caught up" on the Red...

I went to the Nationals Thursday and Friday and am still thinking about going again today. There were Buicks from the teens all the way to a 1996 Roadmaster. There was even a Buick truck and yes Buick did make them. Lots of Reattas [about 25 of them]. 

When we went out for supper Thursday night at the "Seven Seas" on Lake Nagawicki near Oconomowoc [about 20 miles from the host hotel] it was great to see them all lined up together. The company was great as was the food. I caught up with old friends and met some new people.

While at the show I walked through the vendors booths who were selling merchandise not expecting to see much Reatta suff, but I did find a old friend of mine, Randy [Manikmakaniik] who was very active on another forum. We caught up a bit, he is now retired due to medical reasons  but looks better and seems healthier then he has in years.

Back to the Reattas. I could see a lot of pride of ownership and boy every car looked great. Great paint, great interiors and with the exception of one other Reatta [it was Super Charged and yes it is quick] and mine they were all bone stock. Mine did draw a bit of interest mostly due to the 7 spoke chrome wheels and the Alero spoiler. I had the hood down on Thursday but Friday I had it up and the car drew a lot of interest due to the repainted intake shroud, intake and valve covers. One guy said it looks so nice he was going to repaint his as well. Another guy came up he was retired from GM and said he designed the valve covers used on the 3800 and complimented me one what I had done.

I also took a lot of parts down; two interior tan 1990/91 door panels, sun visors, 1990 Headlight Switches {one NOS and one original condition lightly used} 1990/91 Steering Wheel, and front wheel speed sensors. Sold them all and was glad to clear out some inventory. I did buy a 1990 shop manual in the factory sealed bag [which is available if anyone is interested I also have another used 1990 for sale]

So all in all I had a great time and would encourage everyone to consider going if you get the chance. Next year it is in Colorado.

Thanks for the report Dave. I wish it could have been closer so I could have driven my Reatta there. It would gave been nice to see another twin to your car among all the stock ones.

An interesting story, I was at my car talking to a fellow Reatta owner when two guys older then me walked up and looked at my car and said "Look this car is owned by Dave Lemke".  I overheard that and said to those two guys to please wait as I wanted to talk to them. So when I got free I asked them why that was so interesting. They said that a good friend of theirs had the same name and owned a body shop near there and that he might show up at the Buick Car Show. I thought that was pretty cool and kind of hung around to try to meet him but we never met up.

They also were very complimentry of my car and what I had done. I thanked them for their comments.

Your reputation proceeds you Dave. It seems you were well known in Brookfield before you arrived. :)

Dave, Did you go to the Reatta Div meeting? If so anything new to report?

I was familiar with that body shop and the man's name. His shop was located next to "Ernie Von Schlaedorn" on of the largest mutiline car dealerships in Wisconsin.

When I was about 20 I needed parts for my ElCamino so I called a local yard and started asking about parts. For some reason the guy asked me my name so I said "Dave Lemke" and all of a sudden I was getting told that they will pull what I need immediately and did I wanted it delivered. I said I think you have the wrong guy and that I was just a car owner looking for parts. The guy says "You aren't Dave from Lemke Auto Body". I said no. Next thing I know I'm on hold and I'm back to just being a local yokel again...

Regarding the Reatta meeting I was at Brookfield Thursday and Friday and didn't want to go back again on Saturday so I missed the meeting.