Big project this spring

DAVES89

• 2 weeks later...

As I stated earlier I have a friend who is a body man at a Buick Dealership and about a week ago I dropped off the plastic engine shrouds [one for a 1988, one for the 1989-91] and two valve covers to be repainted in the original color. Picked them up today and they look great. I redid the Red letters with some nail polish [same color Red I use on my Buick LeSabre 7 spoke chrome wheel center cap logo] and I have to say they look great. Not sure which intake I will be using so that is the reason for both shrouds being done.

The intake is still undone, I think I will have him paint it when he "touches up" the front end of the Red this spring.

Hi Dave,

I'm looking to touch up a few spots on my 88 Reatta valve covers.

Do you have a paint mfg code for the color?

Thanks,

Henry

1988 white, white trim, beechwood interior.

Sorry I don't. My friend just matched it up to a color chart.

Perfect timing Roonie. I was just at the machine shop and the valves are done, the crank has been polished, and the cylinders are honed [20 over]. The slightly higher compression pistons will be ordered today with the gasket set. Looks like I am on time for a end of March completion with the swap being done in early April. Because the engine is running a bit higher then I expected I have purchased the recent rebuilt tranny [with a 6 month warranty] from that yard that has the Reatta I have been pulling parts from. I will call that yard soon to get the tranny, Reatta Dash, Drivers Seat, Windshield, and Corner Glass/Outside Mirrors pulled.

That should be my last visit to pull parts from that car because once the windows are out the car is exposed to the elements and everything turns to junk.

Sorry I don't. My friend just matched it up to a color chart.

Thank you for the reply.

All the best!

Henry

Hey 2seater as you know the swap will be happening in early April. I am sure Gibson's doesn't pay much for scrap steel so if you want the engine/tranny just let me know and it is yours for free just pick it up. Let me know.

Ran when parked!

Monday I go over to Kendall's to drop off parts and to pick up an intake for Tyan [my painter friend] to paint. I think I am goin g with the '88 intake. I like the 3800 stamped into the intake and I have a freshly painted shroud so this way everything matches.

2seater if you want to stop by let me know.

I also called the yard near West Bend where that nice 1990 is that I have been pulling parts from. I will be picking up the dash, windshield, Drivers seat, outside mirrors and glass on Wednesday. The tranny is pulled and waiting for me.

I also hope to stop over by my Mom's and take her out for lunch.

For this amount of items I will be taking my wife's Enclave. Everything but the tranny inside and the tranny on a trailer hitch "hauler"

The engine builder will be done in about 2 weeks so it's time to get everything together

Install will be end of April, getting close.

I fired up the Red this morning to see what the "new" cornering lamps and foglights look like. The cornering lamps and fog lights are as nice as the ones on the 'vert. I cannot believe I found some as nice as these. They may not be NOS but they are very very nice. Bought them for $15.00 each and the fog lights were $5.00 each. The fog lights have LEDs in them as do the head lights so they make a good match. The cornering lamps are original style bulbs.

After the engine is in I am taking the car over to Ryan [the body man friend] for touch up painting. I also dropped off the intake today for him to paint.

2Seater can verify this in regards to the 5000 mile motor. When I took the air intake and thermostat intake pipe off the car we couldn't believe how fresh the gaskets look. I think if I wanted I could use the gaskets over as the nuts/bolts came off easily and the gaskets "let go" without any damage to them. I wish that motor would have been good.

I know I am spending some cash on this car, but I really only have this car as a "hobby" and have never gotten into golfing, hunting, or fishing so never had that expense. I am sure that this will be my last "go around" so I am doing it with no regrets.

I concur with Dave's assessment of the '88 engine. I had noted the same thing regarding the coolant passages in the heads. They are perfectly clean, no gunk, no white corrosion and look brand new. Too bad there was water infiltration through the missing upper pcv grommet. 'Tis a real shame.

I picked up the transmission, windshield, 16 way drivers seat, both outside mirrors and glass, dash. Car really looks gutted, really too bad as it is a nice car. I am going back for the door handles and to see if the front ABS leads will come out. I would grab the "silver boxes" but what for as I have too many now. I will grab the temperature module [the vacuum one under the dash] as I am sure it works and with the dash out is really easy to get.

They want to pull the engine and tranny and then they will crush the car as they did good on me parting it out. Without the valu of the tranny [it was from a different car] I spent $500.00 for all the parts I have been describing. It may seem high to some but I really think I did well as all the parts I grabbed are as good [as my front seats] or better [the dash, cornering lamps, headlight switch, IPC, etc.

I took the exhaust manifolds over to Bob my friend's house and we ground out the ridges in the manifold where it bolts to the engine as well as the "ring" at the end near the oxygen sensor.

Our next project is to do a swap of the dash as the Red's dash is really starting to crack. It was a Florida car so that is part of the problem, but the other reason for the swap is that before I made the dash pad puller I cracked the dash trying to remove the pad.

So that is next.

I also will be taking the Red after the engine/tranny is installed to get the front end paint "touched Up" as there are a number of stone chips and a scrach on the fiberglass near the fog lights.

With this recent purchase of parts from that '90 near West Bend I also sorted through my parts. I was surprised at the extra parts I have accumulated, for example I have 3 alternators and parts to rebuild a 4th. I also came up with 7 MAF sensors. There is more but you get the adea.

You will have a like new car when you're done. Hang on to those parts. I've just driven my car once this spring. Who knows what parts I will be needing. :)

I got the Red out today. Will post pictures of the "new" cornering lamps and foglights I got from that yard recently. They sure look clean.

The plan is to do the swap end of April. Not too far away!

I'm envious of your new cornering lights. Mine have some of the chrome finish that is dull and dark looking. When I take my car to the cars & coffee tomorrow I'm hoping my freshly buffed red paint will knock their eyes out so they don't notice the cornering lights. :)

Here's some pictures of my new cornering lights. They are even clearer then what the pictures show.

corner_light-1.thumb.jpg.0861b9f0f8a71e5662c70f96cd95fa7b.jpg

corner_light-2.thumb.jpg.f968079091e9399d8b526aff6564a3ee.jpg

corner_light-3.thumb.jpg.66413fab5e575f79d49180e6952eafb2.jpg

I picked up the 1988 intake manifold today and it looks great. If you might remember the 1988 manifold has "3800" stamped in the manifold. My buddy painted the red for me as well. It really looks good. The engine is now a short block and the heads go on next week. Hope to pick it up a week from Monday [April 10].

2seater recomended using Victo Reinz for the head gasket. My engine builder couldn't find it as the exact kit has been discontinued by them. Looks like Feldco still makes them but it is a more generic set. Remember our engine while being popular is only a 3 year engine. At any rate I went to Ebay entered the stock number [5723] and up popped a vendor that had 9 sets at $49.00 each. You get two head gaskets and the intake exhaust gaskets as well. Both 2seater and myself bought one. It's a really good deal for exact replacement. Amazon has the head gasket only at $23.00 each. So for $3.00 more you get everything you need.