How dose the shifter nob come off?

1989Reddriver

Trying to fix crackling noise in the radio.  Owners manual suggested wire problems.  Removed the console side covers not as bad as I thought it would be. But can't remove the cover plate that shifter comes through.  There is something holding it at the front by the shifter.  So were are the nuts or screws that are holding that end? Also if I got that lose I can't remove the shifter nob to take the cover all the way off.  This is a 1989 Reatta. It was a nice looking but neglected car before we bought it last September. 

New brakes all around. Break in the back were all rusted out. Gas tank had thee rust holes in it. So had to be replaced fuel lines rushed out, spliced in repair.  Still have Anti-lock fault.   New struts all around. New spark plugs, transmission oil & filter. Yesterday replaced cruise control servo. Now that works. Had to replace thermostat and flush cooling system. A/C seems to work. Fan doesn't seem to move enough air? That will be another thread.. Drained & replaced power steering oil. Replaced headlights and one motor.  So down to the radio. Then the cassette deck.

But need help getting that cover off!  Thanks..

The knob has a metal staple on the front side and just needs to be pried about 2/3 of the way out to release the knob. 

At the risk of being a little off, I should defer to people more intimately knowledgeable about stripping the inside. I do believe there are two screws at the front but don't remember if they are covered by the trim piece up on the dash or the black insert inside the chrome escutcheon ?

• Agree 1

Ronnie, you're a gem!   On my shifter, the horizontal plate is painted black and some of the paint had chipped off.  I'd like to get it off and strip it, replace the original brush finish and reinstall it eventually if I don't have to tear the entire console apart.  Once again, thanks so much for your help!

0.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, fun car guy said:

On my shifter, the horizontal plate is painted black and some of the paint had chipped off. 

That isn't paint that is missing. That is tape applied at the factory. Instructions for putting on new tape are in the how-to guides here on ROJ. I just removed the tape and polished the metal so it looks a lot like chrome. I lot of people do that unless they are trying to keep everything stock.

• Like 2

Well, since a replacement is highly unlikely, I guess I'll just mask and paint.  Thanks.

My '89 shifter plate looks exactly like the picture posted by fun car guy. I, too, assumed that the "paint" was peeling. Had no idea that it was actually tape that was peeling.  I should have done some more investigation into the "how to" guides hi-lighted by Ronnie. 

And then there's another question.  On the back of the rear view mirror there is this sticker.  Wondering if it has anything to do with the craft center.

0.jpg

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

That isn't paint that is missing. That is tape applied at the factory. Instructions for putting on new tape are in the how-to guides here on ROJ. I just removed the tape and polished the metal so it looks a lot like chrome. I lot of people do that unless they are trying to keep everything stock.

I did the same as Ronnie on both '92 Rivieras and both '91 Reatta's I've owned.  I've never had "points" deducted when I've had any of these cars BCA 400 point judged....either just lucky or the judges don't consider it.  I personally like the chrome look vs. the flat black tape.

• Like 2

I also assumed it was just paint and was considering stripping the piece and applying a brush finish but, being the purist I am, will just paint it. 

Here in Michigan, I'm really feeling frustrated wanting to work on my car.  Even though I'm keeping it in the garage, it's still cold but we're transitioning from snow and ice to the season of mud so it's gonna be another month at least!!!

Can't wait to show my black beauty at a few car shows.

131621978_1109508892836285_4966857068107698300_n.jpg

• Like 1

When you get it off to repaint it you will see that paint really won't stick well. Look for some wide black duct tape and use that. It will still look original and be a lot easier to do and longer lasting.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Excellent idea, Dave!  At this point I have a lot of bigger things to do but when I get down to the finer parts, I'll remember that.  Thanks very much!