Sequential Taillight Conversion

Posti

I found the tutorial on sequential turn signal conversion by Daves89 and decided to give it a go.  I just ordered the specified kit and had already planned to pick up a spare taillight assembly and harness from the junkyard tomorrow.  I can polish up the spare lens and do the conversion on it, and then swap things out.  Looks like a fairly easy job.  I will update on success/failure.

Dave has done it a couple of times I think. He will be able to guide you along the way if you need help. Dave is a good guy. He will help you any way he can.

Dave is definitely the go-to guy for this. If memory serves, he did have a module failure sometime back but he can sure fill in the blanks for you.

I am looking forward to seeing the results, I am not sure if it is possible on the forum but maybe a "Video" of the action.

I installed the sequential harness on the Red [1989] about 9 years ago. They work well to this day. I personally think the Reatta with all the taillights it has is perfect for this application, especially if one has "reconditioned" the taillight to it's original look.

2 years ago I did the 'vert [1990] and the first year everything was great after I swapped out the flashers with heavier duty ones'. Last year I had issues and thought it was the flashers again, but that wasn't it. For some reason the sequential modules failed. So I removed the modules and the Reatta taillight harness and installed a different Reatta harness for the balance of last summer. I did put new sequential lights on my Christmas list and will try again next year.

It is a fairly straight forward install. You splice the wires and wire in the modules. I hung the modules upside down in the cavity on either side of the trunk latch using a rubber grommet to protect the wires fed into the harness area.

I concur with Dave on the design of the taillight crying out for something to help the relatively small high filament area. The taillight is twelve bulbs wide and only three on each side are for brake/turn. I plan to eventually go to four brake/turn on each side but I have seen Dave's lights in action on the road, and that sequencer draws the eye sideways causing the area to look wider than it is. Maybe an illusion, but an effective one. JMHO

First step done - I picked up the spare taillight and harness at the junkyard today - I was able to pull the parts myself, which allowed for careful disconnection of wires instead of things getting snipped. And man, is that taillight harness complex! Anyway, the sequential setup is on the way, and I can take time to clean up the taillight and harness. I may swap out for LED replacement bulbs, which are available pretty cheaply at local auto parts stores.

• 1 year later...

First step done - I picked up the spare taillight  and harness at the junkyard today - I was able to pull the parts myself, which allowed for careful disconnection of wires instead of things getting snipped.  And man, is that taillight harness complex!  Anyway, the sequential setup is on the way, and I can take time to clean up the taillight and harness.  I may swap out for LED replacement bulbs, which are available pretty cheaply at local auto parts stores.

Posti

Did you finish this?

Can you post a video?

I don't think you can use LED replacements for the sequential flashers. Something about insufficient current draw...